- Here's an interesting little tidbit I found on a site for all you Simpsons fans:
"I was at a lecture/performance by Harry Shearer (voice of Montgomery Burns, Wayland Smither, Ned Flanders, and many others) in San Francisco last night, and during the question and answer section of the evening, he mentioned (very much in passing) that it looked like a Simpsons movie would happen. He said nothing else about it, though he did comfirm that Maggie Roswell was fired for asking for more money."
- I have mentioned before about Fox Studios trying very hard to get a remake of Planet of the Apes to the screen. I can't quite figure this out (do we need a remake), but many directors have come and gone, including Oliver Stone who really wanted to do it, but has now decided against it. Most the of directors (including Stone) haven't done anything for me attached to this project and I keep thinking why bother! But a new director is being asked and I finally got a little excited about it: Tim Burton!!!! Now this is a director who has the potential to add a little something new to the Apes. We'll see what pans out!
- Speaking of Oliver Stone...there is an interesting little rumor that Oliver Stone is working on a movie about George Washington. Not much more is known just yet. I've always thought that there could be a very good movie made about the Revolutionary War that really hasn't happened. But with most movies now a day, stories and themes come out in bunches. Mel Gibsons new film "Patriot" coming this summer, is set during the Revolutionary war. So maybe this "good" film is coming soon to a theater near you!!!!
- I've recently saw some images from "The Patriot" and they look great. 3 things came to mind when looking at them (so you can get a feel for this movie). The first was "Last of the Mochians", then a mixture of "Les Miz" and "BraveHeart". Starting to look forward to this one!
- Nicolas Cage has been seen pumping lots of iron at a health club in Hollywood. When asked what was up. He said he had to get a super body. This might mean his starring in a new Superman movie is happening soon. (I still can't see Nick as the Super guy, but I guess we'll see)
-For all you Anne Rice fans, Wes Bentley (of American Beauty fame) has been asked to be Lestat in "Queen of the Damned" and I think he can pull it of nicely. From what I remember, this was the third book in the series so I don't know if they're skipping the second or what!
-Spielberg has now decided against filming the Harry Potter movie and will continue with "Minority Report" a sci-fi, devective movie starring Tom Cruise. Rob Reiner has been mentioned for the Potter film.
-And finally, to get your juices flowing some more for the LOTR series. Harry Knowles (from Ain't It Cool News movie site) tells of his viewing of the trailer for the film....
Hey folks, Harry here. Just got back from the NEW LINE function and saw the first footage seen outside of NEW ZEALAND and NEW LINE...
It was about 2 and a half minutes long.
The center of the screen bursts out with red turmoiling fire as a rectangle divides the screen... deep red flames within. Elvish lettering forms... It's the 'ring writing'. An announcer's voice booms something to the effect of... "IT IS THE MOST WIDELY READ BOOK OF THE 20th CENTURY" and how it has never been brought to life on screen. (and most Tolkein fans would probably agree to that statement)
Glimpses of the 45 minute sell-video that Peter Jackson prepared to sell the series to NEW LINE appear. Gollum moving... sad and depressing. A pitiful creation with soultorn eyes. It is my feeling that this is the greatest cg character look I have ever seen. And I have said that before.
You see row after row after row of ORC armor... like I said before.. it screams Frank Frazetta... primal evil.
Then we begin seeing footage of characters as they appear in the film.
Gandalf aka Ian McKellen. Long greyish white beard, husky eyebrows... his nose... it is the nose of Gandalf, not McKellen... or at least I think so. Memories of a once seen 2 second flash. The pale bluish grey wizard hat... a glimpse of his gnarled staff off to one side. And those piercing eyes of Ian's.
Then... film footage of MASSIVE, much more finished than previously seen by me footage. A roaming army of a few hundred thousand orcs marching through Mordor. This is the shit your pants scene.
We see Legolas fighting atop the battlements, repelling attacking orcs... and I giggled as I knew somewhere... a mere camera pan away was Gimli hacking away.
We see the Cave Troll cg tests... gnards and all. We see the Ring Wraiths pursuing in the forest. The movement is not merely hooded things on horseback... there seemed to be a bit of etheral surreality to them.
We see Aragorn with that ol broken sword of his. We see the Fellowship darting about an amazing landscape, as if being pursued.
The music was from THE MESSENGER.
Folks, the film footage is lovely. The audienced roared it's approval. And...
FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS - CHRISTMAS 2001
THE TWO TOWERS - CHRISTMAS 2002
RETURN OF THE KING - CHRISTMAS 2003
Folks... this stuff is AMAZING! I talked with New Line about getting this stuff out there for you guys to see. Because there is no way in hell you'll be crapping on this stuff... it's exactly the right feel, look and tone.
It looks like they are going to be editing something together to break on the official LORD OF THE RINGS site. I didn't get a sense of when, but it seemed to be something they were wanting to work on.
After it was over, Moriarty let loose with a yelp of approval.
Me... it was time to change me undies.
BTW... Sean Astin looks great as Sam! Oh oh oh... the shot of Frodo deflecting a blade with Sting! Ehehehehehe... Fun fun fun!!!
Sounds like great stuff
Until next time